Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gah!

My schedule has been *kinda* mental lately...and hence, a lack of posting in the last ten days or so. Even this week I continue to be trapped in another three-day training session at work, which normally would more than likely send me round the bend except that this is one of those very rare 8 hour day meeting(s) where I can actually just sit and knit. Though in today's case, sit and knit, and then rip back twice. I guess that's what I get for feigning interest in what the facilitator is saying--my knitting suffers.

So, here's Gretel:




(this photo is way over-saturated, sorry)

pattern: Gretel by Ysolda Teague
yarn: Noro Cash Iroha (wool, cashmere, silk & nylon) in #94 "teal"
needles: 4 mm

I thought the slouchy size of this beret would be a bit too big so I cast on for the regular size after SPLURGING on two skeins of Cash Iroha for it. (I won't reiterate what also popped into my basket that day --the shame, the shame of it all!)

And then DISASTER struck:

(image deleted)

What the EFF?!
Not enough freakin' yarn to finish it off. Grrrr.

So back I went to my LYS for another expensive skein. Again, I will refrain from telling you what also hopped into the basket that day as well. Oh ok, you talked me into it:

(image deleted)

I know it doesn't seem like much but two 60 dollar excursions in a row was starting to hurt. I blame all this swearing off buying more yarn that I've been doing lately. Clearly it's a serenity now situation for me. It just gets pent up until I EXPLODE and buy more stuff.

But then, Gretel was done and it was a beautiful thing.

(image deleted)

I had *almost* a full ball of Cash Iroha left. And what takes only one ball to make you might ask? Why fetching, of course! So off I went to make myself some matching fingerless gloves in this gorgeous yarn.

And uh, guess what happened then?



I'm so glad you asked...not enough yarn, AGAIN. Oh, cruel yarn why hast thou forsaken me?

What can I do with only one fingerless glove? Archie seemed less than thrilled with his new Abe Lincoln-esque stovepipe hat.



I know this face well. It is the face that says: "Why mum? why do you always do this to me?" Fortunately it is usually followed quickly by this face:

(image deleted)

The "I-give-up-take-your-stupid-picture" face.

Score one for me.

So guess what happened then?



You probably don't really need to guess, do you? BACK to the store I went for skein NUMBER FOUR. And was that all?

Well, I think you know the answer to that one too. NINE more balls for this:



Because much like my mother, I cannot resist a sale, now can I?

SERENITY NOW!

(though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't actually excited about all this new stuff on the sticks). I am however getting second sock syndrome with fetching's matching right hand--not to mention sensing the looming futility of fingerless gloves right now (we are supposed to get 15 cm of snow tomorrow...) If I don't take care of that pronto I may never.

Whoo, that was a lot of photos --that'll do me for another ten days, right?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo..... should I refrain from telling you about the Cash Iroha sweater I made? Hourglass. It was beautiful. It was perfect. I fit wonderfully. It required extra yarn. Then? When it got wet (post red-wine-sloshing which will not be talked about again) it grew. And is now so big it falls off me.

All that to say that you may not want to wash Gretel or the Fetching mitts... Just sayin'.

They do look really great though! I haven't had a chance to fix my Gretel yet. Soon though. I want to wear it! :)

Sarah said...

Oh this made me laugh :0)

Great hat - I really like it in that yarn.

Reckless Glue said...

oooh, I've totally been thinking I need to make that hourglass sweater too---but me and sweaters often don't work out. Plus I never splurge on epensive yarn for any big projects. I'm cheap like that.

Julia said...

The swearing-off-new-yarn-is-sure- to-make-you-explode-and-buy-more issue is exactly why I haven't been stopping by Lettuce Knit for Stitch n' Bitch lately. Must...resist...urges...Serenity now!

You're gretel is great! I'm tempted re-knit mine and make the smaller size, but alas, christmas is fast approaching...

Reckless Glue said...

you know, I actually still find the regular size kinda falling-off big. It might be worthwhile to even do the smallest size and then just block it out if it seems to small...

Julia said...

Yeah, mine is kind of too big PLUS it seems to be growing/stretching somehow. I think it's definitely going to be re-knit! Did you do the Tubular cast-on?

Lolly said...

I just love the hat! it looks great with your hair ;)

Love this color too - it will be lovely in that sweater ;)

Reckless Glue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reckless Glue said...

yes I did, though I didn't really see the point--it felt/looked nice I guess. I meant to mention that --oopsy. I actually found a decent tutorial for it which made it a lot easier for me to grasp:
http://autoscopia.com/amelia/archives
/2005/11/tubular_cast_on.html

I am also still finding it kind of mushroomy even in the regular size.

Macoco said...

Oh you definitely need some serenity after all that splurging! ;) It looks like it was all worth it though - your Gretel is beautiful.